Monday, September 3, 2007

Metallurgy at -40 degrees celsius

December 25, 2006

Since 1962 when I went on a ship to England , I have travelled overseas many times. But nothing equals the journey I made to Kazakhstan in November 2006. It is mere 3.5 hours from Delhi to Almaty. But is a world away. This has been the most exciting travel crossing barriers of gerography, history, culture, religion and language united only by metallurgy.

We visited three centres in Almaty. We also had a round table on Nanotechnology.

Then we got into a large minibus with Kulyan, the interpreter, Aizhan & Sultanat and set out for 600 km. It was a new experience- miles and miles of flat space marked only by snow. A few stray camels , sheep & horses (my friends told me that there are fewer horses as the Kazhaks have eaten most of them!) We arrived at Balkash and saw Copper & zinc plants. From copper they get gold & silver - an alchemical touch. Then again a long 400 km ride to Karaganda.

Kazhakstan is the centre of the Eurasian continental mass. Karaganda is at the centre of Kazhakstan . Termirtau- which means iron mountain - is at the centre of Karaganda region. At the Centre of Termitau is the giant 6 million ton Mittal Steel Complex.It is the turning around of this plant that led to Mittal's meteoric rise.

One of the sights was red hot pig iron issuing out of the largest blast furnace I have seen in the backdrop of pure white snow. In the Mittal steel plant we had indian food! And the top manager of the plant was one of my students from BHU!!

We visited many centres and had a roundtable on Metallurgy.

Once more we rode 200 km into Astana- the new capital. Like a genie out of the bottle President Nursultan is building a mighty capital on the Steppes. It is a sight for the gods.

I left for Almaty on Nov 28 and flew back on Nov 29,

Aizhan and Kulyan (an interpreter) met me at the airport and whisked me away to visit the Institute of Physics. I was lodged in a fully furnished flat. The second day I visited Mineral Processing Centre. During the discusion vodka was served. Neat. I was chided for drinking it like cognac
We visited three centres in Almaty. We also had a round table on Nanotechnology.

2 comments:

Devika said...

very interesting

Unknown said...

Interesting to read ... thanks ...